Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Globetrotters

We took our sons to see the Globetrotters this weekend, and it was just as fun as I remember it being as a kid. Of course, we were way up in the nosebleed section, but the antics were entertaining nonetheless. Some of the routines are EXACTLY as I remember them from when I'm growing up (like the bucket of water that really contains glitter), and some of the routines are updated to fit the times. My 2-year old had a great time, and actually didn't even fidget throughout the game (it could have had something to do with the sno-cone and the giant pretzel too, but I think he was entertained too).

My favorite Globetrotter growing up was Curly, he was AWESOME. He could dribble like nobody's business, and he always seemed so little to me, although he was probably at least 6 feet tall, it's just that the other guys were all HUGE. I also remember that the Globetrotters were occasional guests on Scooby Doo. There was one, who's name I can't remember, had a HUGE afro on Scooby Doo, and he would often pull random things out of his 'fro. It was hysterical. I think they also made a movie.

The modern Globetrotters actually have some of the same character names (for example, there is a Curly in this permutation of the Globetrotters). It's amazing that they are entertaining my children as they entertained me throughout my childhood. I give many kudos to the creator of this industry that began all the way back in 1927 and continues today with wholesome and fun family entertainment.

No comments: