Monday, September 11, 2006

Sad Anniversary

It's the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and I find that I am surprised by how much this anniversary has affected me. We were personally touched by this tragedy in many ways, ranging from knowing someone who worked in (and thankfully escaped) the world trade center on that day, to knowing someone who was killed defending our nation against further attacks from cowardly terrorists. I am sad because I think that as a country we've become somewhat complacent about the attacks, partly due to the length of time that has passed since the tragedy, but most likely due to the current administration's obscene mishandling of our resources and military prowess since the attacks. Granted, it's easy for me to be an armchair quarterback - I have no idea what I would do if I was the president to try to protect our country and assure that something like this wouldn't happen again. Nevertheless, I know that it would be vastly different from the ineptitude of Bush's White House.

But I digress...and this is exactly my point. The remembrance of the events that occurred five years ago today should not be marred by thoughts of revenge or of disappointment in our government. It should be about reflection on the people who died just doing their jobs or going about their life. I was thinking today about what it would be like to see my husband off to work as I do every day, only to learn that he'll never come home due to attacks by a small group of misguided individuals who resent the freedom that we relish in the country. It would be devestating and hard to understand. Also, at the time of the 9/11 attacks, my parents lived in the LA area - what if I had decided to go visit them, and was on one of those flights from Boston to LA that day? My sons would never have been born, and life for my husband and family would be quite different. It's all very depressing.

Of course, I instantly realized that I can't go about the day (or life for that matter) thinking like this...it's completely counterproductive. Instead, I chose to take a walk with my newborn son today, and to be thankful for the beautiful day, the freedom that I have, and the fact that I still have my husband, my family, and the ability to be here to go through this whole mess of emotions. As Kurt says in his Blog, Never Forget.



1 comment:

Kurt said...

Chia -

This September 11 is particularly poignant for me. The previous four anniversaries, I watched the 9/11 windows read the names of their spouses with the same sadness and apprehension as you.

This year, though, I watched them for the first time as a fellow widow. And believe me, my appreciation for the depth of their pain is much different this year than last.

2000 newly-minted widows in the space of an hour. Any politician wanting my vote from now on will need a strategy for defeating the barbarians at our door. Never Forget.