Monday, September 25, 2006

Daytime Television Woes

During my period of unemployment followed by mommyhood, I fell in love with the Ellen Degeneres show. Ellen is hilarious, I adore her monologues and she is very good at interviewing her guests and involving her audience in her show. Her show used to be on NBC here, at 11am. Now I guess she's moved networks or something, because her show has been replaced by the Megan Mullally show.

Now, I think that in my book, Megan had a strike against her to begin with since her show moved the Ellen show, but even if that weren't the case, I think her talk show is just AWFUL. First of all, she rips off Ellen daily, from having her mom in the audience to having an audience talent show to having a showtune show. But, aside from that, she always seems like she's waiting for something to happen - it just doesn't come naturally to her. She's had some great guests, but she just somehow drops the ball with each one.

It's a shame really, because I liked her character Karen on Will and Grace, she's shone on broadway, and I've heard her sing (not live) - she has a great range and a multitude of musical styles. Most of what she does is covers of other people's music, but it's still entertaining. As for her stint as a talk show host, I guess she may have just pushed her talent threshold...I don't think she's going to emerge as a talk show queen. She lacks Oprah's ability to suck her audience in (like it or not) or Ellen's ability to constantly entertain throughout her show. In addition, she doesn't have a natural rapport with her guests, even those that are old friends with whom she routinely spends time (Will Farrell). All I can say, is bring Ellen back! (I'm just whining because I have to pick up the darn remote control and exercise my thumbs).

As a final note, how sad is it that my world has come to this? From a brilliant budding scientist (no ego problems here, eh?) and mother to an unpaid daytime talk show critic in the period of a year. Pathetic? Yes. Bottom of the barrel? Hopefully. It can only go up from here...

No comments: