Friday, May 26, 2006

Not Trashy Reading...Just Trash

Two of my sisters were english majors in college, and have an immense love for eloquent prose. They love a good story, but more than that, they love how well the story is written. I, on the other hand, just love a good story. The language does not necesarily have to be beautiful nor does the story necessarily need to be a life-changing inspiration. All that I require is that I become engrossed and can use the book to escape to an alternate reality for a short time. This means that I read books that my sisters often consider trashy. One sister in particular is often dismayed to see what I'm reading and rags on me incessantly about my literature choices (especially about my affinity for the supernatural).

I do have to add that I draw the line at cheezy romance novels. I never got into them and I find them almost painful to read they're so bad. My favorite contemporary authors are John Irving and Tom Robbins - I've read every single one of their books; but I've also read most of the novels by Tom Clancy, Robin Cook, Ken Follett (his book Pillars of the Earth is WONDERFUL), Anne Rice, Philip Pullman and Patricia Cornwell.

Lately I've gotten into reading Kathy Reichs (inspiration for the TV show Bones). For the most part, her books are entertaining, and I enjoy learning how forensic anthroplogists decipher the mysteries that were buried with their unearthed skeletons. However, I think her relatively recent book "Cross Bones" may even cross my line for cheese...my sisters would be horrified. Not only does she repeat the line "Think of it this way." multiple times, but here's the piece de resistance that I read last night:
Ryan is built on sinewy, ropelike lines. Long ones. Eventually I felt one line grow longer.

These sentences cross the line into the cheese of the romance novel that even I cannot stand. I mean, what was Reichs thinking? What were her editors thinking, just letting that line slip by? (No pun intended). Did they even read the mansucript? I will most likely continue to read this book, because the main plotline has grabbed my interest, but this will probably keep me from buying another Reichs book in the future.

I hate that I'm proving my sisters right...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Keep blogging baby. Especially the trains of thought that reinforce the fact that your sisters are right.

Kurt said...

Let me just throw in dittoes on Pillars of the Earth. That novel is so well done on so many levels. I don't have time to read many lengthy books, but that one was riveting.