Sunday, May 28, 2006

There's No Crying in Baseball

My husband and I have gone to two baseball games in the past two weeks. The first game, last weekend was Phillies vs. Red Sox in Philadelphia. I hadn't been in the new stadium in Philly before - it was really well done, there was plenty of parking, and the game was fun because there were just about as many Sox fans as Phillies fans in attendance. Much to my husband's dismay, since I was wearing a Phillies cap and because he's a huge Phillies fan, I couldn't help rooting for the Sox (we live in Boston of late, and being a fan of the Sox is pretty contagious around here). Usually it's easy for him to root for both the Phillies and the Sox being that they're in different leagues, and the only time that he would really have to make a choice is if they end up playing each other in the World Series. He said I can't wear his Phillies hat any more.

Last night, toting my Red Sox visor, we were in Fenway watching Curt Schilling pitch against the Devil Rays for his 200th win. We had great seats, right at first base looking straight out to second base. The game itself wasn't that great, nor was Schilling's pitching performance, but the atmosphere was absolutely electric in the stadium in anticipation of his success. Once the game was over, no one wanted to leave - we all stood around and cheered "WE WANT CURT, WE WANT CURT". It took him a little while, but he came out and waved to the crowd and the fans went wild. It was great to watch!

So here's the problem, and I'm reluctant to bring it up being one myself, but at both games my husband and I had the serious misfortune of being seated in front of groups of women. I seriously can't understand why these women were at either game. I am pretty sure that they didn't watch a single pitch...they just sat there and YAPPED the whole game. It was incredibly annoying, and they were impossible to tune out. Why would these women pay good money to attend a baseball game (especially because tickets at Fenway are not cheap)? My guess is that they're hoping to attract one of the plethora of single men who are also in attendance at these games, but I have to offer these girls this advice:
Men (and women for that matter) do not want to hear you blabber over their whole game. Selective conversation is ok if it's about baseball, beer, or something related to baseball or beer. In the future, I would appreciate it if you save your money and phone one another to discuss the bachelorette party you're not attending and the fact that you actually wrote a 10-page term paper. Based upon your verbal excesses, I imagine keeping yourself to ten pages was a struggle.
Please let the rest of us enjoy our baseball game in peace...thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love your blog and the color commentary on the events in your life!