Friday, June 23, 2006

Better Late Than Never

Well, here I am with 54 days to go until my due date (but since I only went to 39 weeks with my first son it's most likely 47 days...that's just under seven weeks for those of you who are as mathmatically impaired as I am), and I have a job! Ok, so it's not a REAL job with benefits and all the bells and whistles, but it is an income that is greater than my unemployment income. Beginning Monday, I am a consultant for the company I had the exploratory interview with in June. They hired me for eight weeks, to see if I could do more in these eight weeks than their current scientists have done in the past eight months. NO PRESSURE! Actually, I don't know that the last statement is true, I just know that they've been working for a while on developing the same assays that I'll be working on, and that they haven't made any significant progress. Thankfully, I have extensive experience with all three types of assays that they're trying to develop, so I can hit the ground running.

Here is my hope... I hope that I can get these assays going in my six-plus weeks with the company, and leave the higher-ups slack-jawed. That way, when I am back on the market for a position in November, they'll be begging me to come back and offer me a very prestigious position within the company. What will most likely happen outside of my imagination? I will at least not make a total ass out of myself in the next six weeks and leave them regretting bringing me on board for such a short period of time. Whatever happens in November I'll worry about as November approaches...I may not even like it there after I've been there for a short period of time!

As an aside, I was speaking with my mom yesterday and she said that after my scare on Tuesday, it's probably a good thing I've gotten a job because it's as close to "taking it easy" as I'll get. It's ironic that she thinks of it that way, but she's absolutely correct! At least if I'm working I'll be sitting at a desk or at a laminar flow hood and there will be no heavy lifting (son, laundry basket, furniture), no running after my son on his tricycle, not much bending... Who knew that getting a job would be a relief for more than financial reasons?

No comments: