Thursday, June 01, 2006

Job Interview!

I had a job interview yesterday with a small biotechnology company - it was called an exploratory interview, where they could assess my skills and see if I would fit into their organization somewhere. This translates into "we don't really have a position for you, but we want to meet you". I think it went well overall, my meeting with one of the VPs and the COO were very productive. But, when I met with the senior staff who would most likely be reporting to me, I was met with some degree adversity (could even be considered hostility). I sensed resentment that the higher-ups would consider bringing someone in above the levels represented in the current group, perhaps because they hoped one of them would be promoted from within. While I can understand this sentiment to some degree, I would most likely feel the same way in their position, I don't think it's a professional way to treat another scientist. Now if I'm offered a postion there, I have to consider if I should take it immediately because I really need a job, or if I should be hesitant due to the way the people who would report to me treated me during the interview. I wonder, does behavior during interviews really reflect professional behavior on a day-to-day basis?

No comments: