Thursday, June 29, 2006

The First Day of Work

Well, I survived the first day of work, it was mostly uneventful...filling out paperwork in the morning, meeting dozens of people whose names I'd forgotten as soon as they were spoken, and reading a lot of old experimental data. Of the two senior scientists who were less than thrilled with my interviewing for a position with their group, one was quite kind and took me under her wing, the other did not say two words to me all day and seems to have a chip on his shoulder. I'll win him over eventually...he just needs to figure out that I'm really not a threat to him.

The good thing that happened today? I was already able to contribute significantly in a group meeting...

The bad thing that happened today? I was asked by at least five people if I was an RA (this is a great insult to someone who was previously a Senior Scientist and interviewed at the company for an Assistant Director position). My response was to smile and say "no, I'm a contract worker, so I don't have a title". Grin and bear it, right?

"What are we going to do tomorrow, Brain"

"The same thing we do every day Pinky, try to take over the world"

No comments: