Friday, July 28, 2006

Where have you been all my life?

Have I mentioned yet that I love my new car? It's fun to drive, pretty peppy for it's size, and comfortable to ride in. My son enjoys the space in the back seat (or at least I enjoy that he's not kicking the passenger seat constantly during our car fides), my husband can drive and change the seat position and all I have to do is push a little button and the seat goes back to the way I like it, and I have great music at my fingertips with a 6-CD changer in the dash. All of these things are good. Really good. But what is even better is the NAVIGATION SYSTEM.

Where has this thing been all my life? My husband can attest to how badly I needed this. Prior to getting this car, I was a mapquest junkie. I would mapquest EVERYTHING, print out the directions, and then end up with a tree equivalent in my backseat since I never threw away what I had printed. Have I mentioned how dangerous reading while driving is? More than that, what happens when you make a wrong turn? Your paper instructions just can't adapt. The nav system I got (and use almost daily) updates when I take wrong turns! Woo-hoo! I've found new routes to work, lakes I didn't know existed, and shortcuts in my town that I also didn't know existed.

The other really cool thing about this nav system is that it can find things for you. Here's an example...I just started this new job in a town that is about 30 miles away and that I'm not really familiar with. I needed to go to a post office the other day and I had NO IDEA where to go. So, I get into my trusty new car, turn on the nav system, and have it look up the nearest post office for me. Just push the little point of interest button, push post office, and voila! directions to the post office. It was under a mile away, but I would have never found it without the nav system (without asking a local) because it was tucked away on a back street. What a wonder. Today I found an ATM the same way. I don't think I can go back to a car without a navigation system ever again!

What fun!

No comments: